Monday 5 May 2014

TEDx Youth Fort Garry Reflection

Last week I had the pleasure of going to the TEDx presentation at The Forks. My favourite speaker was probably Nereo 2nd or Chris Voth. I liked that both of their presentations were well prepared and their messages were clear and positive. I especially appreciated the way they related to the audience and were engaging speakers. Nereo's story especially resonated with me because my own parents are artists and deal with the "starving artist stereotype". Chris Voth's story of coming out was inspiring and brave. He was initially afraid of being open with his friends, family and teammates but gradually grew to realize that keeping such a large secret was affecting his volleyball performance and happiness. Another standout on the TEDx talks was Lauren Chopek's presentation. It was shocking and scary to hear the story of a girl not much younger than me who has lived a wild life on the streets. Although she was a powerful speaker, I found her talk to be inappropriate for the occasion and the audience. Many audience members were too young to fully understand the magnitude of what was being talked about and Lauren seemed like she wasn't in a place to share without allowing her emotions to overshadow the positive message of the subject matter. It was still interesting to hear the story of someone who was in the process of change.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise