Wednesday 12 February 2014

The Spy

I wrote this story about 4 years ago in the last creative writing class I took. The idea was to do some people watching and imagine what they were doing. This came to me after I witnessed my brother and his friend shooting his BB gun in the backyard. Personally, I don't think it's my best work but it was an interesting creative process and its nice to reflect on how my writing skills have evolved. 

I crouched, quietly hidden in my perch, watching and observing the motions of the two men in the yard below me. It was my mission to follow and eventually neutralize the two targets. It was believed by my agency that the two men were Potslyvanian spies working for the notorious international arms dealer, Rhas Al Ghul.

I had followed the two men from a drop point nearby to an old abandoned house on the edge of town. I had kept tabs on them the entire time and had also managed to remain unseen by the men which was key in order for my mission objective to be completed.

They were in disguise to shake off any enemy spies who may have been tailing them and to avoid being recognized by any of the local police. The two men were wanted in 4 different continents for various felonies and acts of espionage. 

The two men had done an excellent job of protecting their identities. Their ruse was to dress up as a pair of teenagers playing a game of target practice with nothing but a B.B. Gun. The youth had used a random assortment of objects as their targets, birds, squirrels, stray cats, aerosol cans etc.

The couple set up the aerosol cans in a row along a fence and took turns shooting them down. As they enjoyed this activity, they would chatter away and talk of how good they were getting. Teasing and taunting each other if one of them missed and challenging one another to get that perfect kill-shot, tapping into their competitive sides made their aim stronger and their shots quicker.

There was no doubt about it in my mind, these men were not only spies, they were good with a sniper rifle. The men attempted to cover up their expert movements by masking them with the false clumsiness of adolescence.

As the two continued with their game another young man entered the equation, he looked strangely familiar so I raised my binoculars to examine him more closely, only by looking closer did I recognize the man to be Rhas Al Ghul himself.

As I continued to watch through my binoculars I noticed the three men really had done an impeccable job of disguising themselves. If it weren't for my training I would've fallen for their brilliant costumes but I managed to notice a few important factors that gave away the men's true identity.

The first man was a heavy chain-smoker, with the stained yellow teeth to prove it. This indicated to me he had been a smoker for at least 10 years. 

The second man  was abnormally muscular for a teenager and wore a scarf that no teen would be caught dead in, as I looked closer I saw that he wore it to hide a large scar that stretched the entire expanse of his throat. 

Rhas Al Ghul's disguise was nearly flawless. He looked exactly like a lanky, slouched over teen that was too cool to care about anything. But I was as sharp- sighted as any spy and saw on the back of his neck a small, almost microscopic seam, thus telling me he was wearing a mask.

I snapped some pictures of the three men and recorded the information regarding the crime scene in my log. While taking care of the fine details, I heard a dog bark somewhere in the neighbourhood and decided to check the perimeter. I looked towards the front of the house and saw a large moving van driving down the street. I had been warned that there may be a delivery and knew the van to be filled with all sorts of deadly weapons. It turned out to be the perfect scenario for an arrest.

I radioed in to HQ and requested backup. After 15 years of trying to nab these crooks my hard work was finally going to pay off. As I heard the chopper approaching, I just sat back and smiled.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise